SafeAuto auto insurance at a glance
Monthly premium costs:
- 35-year-old female with clean driving record: $220.50
- 35-year-old male with clean driving record: $235.16
- 35-year-old female with one accident: $308.75
- 18-year-old-male with clean driving record: $556.08
- Rental car coverage
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist protection
- Roadside assistance
- Accidental death coverage
Providing the state-mandated minimum coverage is SafeAuto’s bread and butter, as is providing high-risk car insurance to drivers other insurers may reject. For example, SafeAuto works with drivers who require SR-22 coverage.
SR-22 is not insurance, but a document provided by a driver’s insurance company proving that the driver carries liability car insurance. While laws vary by state, the drivers required to have an SR-22 typically fall into one of the following categories:
- Drivers involved in an at-fault accident with no insurance
- Drivers convicted for driving under the influence or while intoxicated
- Drivers who have had their license suspended or revoked
- Driver that are repeat offenders (drivers involved in serious or multiple traffic offenses)
Growing access to digital services
This car insurance company offers online and mobile services, making it easy for customers to make claims and changes to their policies.
SafeAuto works to provide payment plans that their customers can afford, and a payment method that works for them. Because the company offers a monthly payment plan, a customer can work “backwards.” In other words, they can decide how much they can afford to pay monthly and then choose the level of coverage they can afford at this time. As their financial situation changes, they can upgrade to more comprehensive coverage.
In addition, SafeAuto allows customers to pay via check, credit card, debit card, money order, or cashier check. For added convenience, customers can also sign up for autopay.
What could be improved
Shaky customer satisfaction
While SafeAuto garners a respectable 3.6 stars out of 5 on their own website, they earn only 1.4 stars out of 5 at ConsumerAffairs.com. Many complaints concerned slow payments made following an accident.
Better choices available for drivers with high credit scores
SafeAuto is more likely than some companies to insure a driver with a low credit score. However, drivers with a high credit score are almost always money ahead by working with a different car insurance company.
Currently, SafeAuto is only available in 28 states, a fact that could prove problematic for customers who move to another state.
View more information: https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/insurance/auto/safeauto-review/