Root auto insurance at a glance
Root figures out a driver’s monthly premium costs with their special app and driving test. Here’s how it happens:
- The driver downloads the Root test drive app.
- They drive around for a few weeks with the app (or longer if they only drive a few miles a day).
- The app keeps a scorecard showing how the motorist is doing.
- The app records things like how gently the driver comes to sudden stops, if they ease into turns, and whether they avoid nighttime driving, for example.
- At the end of the test drive, the user is given an overall score of up to 10.
- Root bases the driver’s rate primarily on that test drive score.
The company explains it by calling their system “fair,” saying that good drivers should not have to pay more to cover the expenses of bad drivers.
Because they insure good to excellent drivers, Roots rates tend to be lower (sometimes considerably lower) than their competitors.
- Bodily injury
- Property damage
- Rental car
- Uninsured motorist
- Roadside assistance
- Personal injury
- Medical payments
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist bodily injury
View more information: https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/insurance/auto/root-auto-insurance-review/