A DOG owner is warning others after her pooch almost died when she stroked its face after putting cocoa butter moisturiser on her hands.
Sarah Brown, 39, made a fuss of Kangal Shepherd Blondie, six, before heading for bed.
Minutes later the dog had a violent seizure so Sarah and husband Sam, 38, raced her to vets.
The rescue dog was rushed to emergency vets as her condition rapidly deteriorated and her skin turned an ‘almost glowing’ pink as she shook ‘ferociously’.
Sarah forked out more than £500 and after a series of tests her vet believes it was ‘very likely’ a severe reaction to the cream – as it contains the compound theobromine, which is dangerous for dogs.
Sarah, from Lowestoft, Suffolk, said: “It was terrifying and out of the blue. I felt terrible because I thought ‘I’ve done this’.
“We could have had a different tale to tell. We thought she was a goner and not going to last through the night.
“This is me saying it’s happened to me and please be careful. It’s about raising awareness. If this can save it happening to others, that’s brilliant.”
Since the unfortunate incident, Sarah has posted her concerns online and begun to check the back of all of her cosmetics to make sure Blondie is safe in the future.
Sarah said: “Since that happened I’ve been checking all my creams. I’ve come across a brand that’s got palm oil in – we all know how dangerous that is to dogs.
“A lot of people have commented saying ‘oh my god, I always put lotion on my legs and my dog licks them’.”
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL email@example.com
View more information: https://www.the-sun.com/news/963809/dog-almost-died-cocoa-butter-moisturiser/